The search is continuing for a Derry man missing from the Isle of Doagh in Inishowen.
The man, named by Gardai as 59-year-old Anthony (Tony) Griffiths, from Culmore in Derry, has been missing since Monday night.
Buncrana Garda Inspector David Murphy told the ‘Journal’ that Gardai in Carndonagh received a report on Tuesday afternoon of a missing person. He said they were informed that Mr Griffiths and his family had been camping at Isle of Doagh and all went to bed on Monday night. When the family awoke on Tuesday morning, Mr Griffiths was not there.
Inspector Murphy said they requested the assistance of the Irish Coast Guard and received “tremendous support.” Malin Head Marine Rescue Centre tasked the Lough Swilly RNLI and Greencastle Cliff and Coastal rescue.
Joe Joyce, of the Lough Swilly RNLI, said they received a call for assistance from the Marine Rescue Centre at Malin Head at 6.20pm on Tuesday night andlaunched their two lifeboats.
The Greencastle Coastguard was also tasked to the scene, with support from Gardai and locals who searched the shore.
That search was stood down before 11pm when light faded.
Mr Joyce said it was due to resume on Wednesday morning at lower tide.
The search is focusing on the area around Trawbreaga Bay, which Mr Joyce said is a “vast amount of water and quite a large area.” It is understood the Sligo 118 helicopter will also join with the search.
Inspector Murphy said that while the search is underway, Gardai are keeping all avenues open. Mr Griffiths was last seen wearing a grey t-shirt with a red and blue design and beige combat-type shorts. He is 5ft 10, of medium build, with sandy covered hair and blue eyes. Anyone with information is asked to contact Buncrana Garda Station at (00353) 74 93 20540.