Warning for parents over blind cord dangers

editorial image

Parents in Derry have been warned to protect their children from the risk of being strangled by window blind cords.

Two information sessions are to be held in the city tomorrow as part of Home Accident Prevention Week - the theme of which is raising awareness on blind cord safety - to highlight the dangers.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents say at least 22 children have died in blind cord accidents in the UK since 1999 (with 11 occurring since the beginning of 2010).

Collette Craig, President of Home Accident Prevention Northern Ireland’s and Chair of Home Accident Prevention Foyle says the Derry events aim to highlight a “hidden hazard” in the home.

“Far too many children have died in accidents involving blind and curtain cords in recent years.

“By staging this launch and the workshops - and by distributing the leaflets and posters - we hope to turn this ‘hidden’ hazard into a hot topic that we can tackle together.”

The Derry events, organised by Deirdre Lynch, Home Accident Prevention Officer and Barbara-Anne McMullan, Group Environmental Health Officer from Derry City Council’s Environmental Health department, will take place at Smyths Toy Store, Strand Road at 10am tomorrow and at Lisnagelvin Sports Centre at 2pm.

Parents and carers will receive information packs that contain simple, practical advice that can significantly reduce the risk of a child being accidentally strangled by a looped blind cord.

A number of safety devices have also been donated by The British Blind and Shutter Association which will be handed out on a first come first serve basis.

In addition we will be running a ‘Spot the Hazard’ competition, with prizes kindly donated by Derry City Council and Smyth Toys.

You can read more online at www.rospa.com/blindcords