Warning on blind cords

editorial image

SDLP councillor Ann Dobbins has urged parents to the aware of the dangers posed by blind cords.

Colr. Dobbins issued the warning after attending a safety briefing on the issue. “Children can become entangled in the loop created by a blind or curtain cord and are often unable to call for help or lack the strength to get the cord away from their neck.

“Blind cords are now banned in the USA, Canada and Australia.

Northern Ireland should follow their example. Complete elimination of the strangulation risk can only be achieved by keeping cords and chains out of the reach of young children. Safety devices are available and when getting new blinds.”