A Derry schoolboy got more than he bargained for on Christmas morning when he opened a bumper packet of Smarties to find them stuffed with a grubby pair of workmen’s gloves.
Dad Glenn McIntyre claims his family couldn’t believe their eyes when they discovered the “disgusting” pair of gloves crammed inside the tube.
“My wee boy thought at first we had stuffed them in there but of course we hadn’t. The tube had been sealed and we were really shocked to find the gloves.
“They were really manky - with rubber palms - the kind of heavy duty gloves you would expect a workman to wear.”
Glenn had bought three of the bumper tubes of the sweets as a Christmas treat for his three sons at a local Tesco store.
“My other boys were laughing as well, thinking we had played a joke on our 11 year- old.”
He has since contacted the manufacturers, Nestlé, who have asked him to return the packaging and contents so that they can conduct a full investigation.
A Nestlé spokesperson confirmed to the ‘Journal’ yesterday that they were investigating the incident.
He said: “We would like to say sorry to the McIntyre family for the inconvenience and we are keen to understand how this could have happened. Therefore we await the pack and a glove to be sent to us so we can begin an investigation and will update Mr & Mrs McIntyre accordingly.”