Brandywell Celtic make winning start to N.W. Champions League

editorial image

Brandywell Celtic made an impressive start to the new North West Champions League campaign with an emphatic victory over Inishowen counterparts, Moville Celtic on Tuesday night.

The North West Saturday Morning League outfit bounced back from a 1-0 first half deficit to claim a 1-4 win.

Mark McLaughlin netted a second half hat-trick to ensure the Brandywell club got their Group One campaign off to a winning start and they now top the group as Phoenix were held to a 2-2 draw with Glengad United.

Meanwhile, in Group Two Creggan Swifts recorded a convincing win over a rusty Clonmany Shamrocks to take leadership of their qualifying stage.

In the other match in Group Two, Aileach FC shared the spoils with Clifton Villa in an entertaining contest which ended 3-3.

Aileach FC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

Clifton Villa . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

Aileach took the lead from a corner as Caran Ferry powered his header past the Villa keeper.

Aileach doubled their lead on 33 minutes when Ferry lobbed the keeper.

Villa made an immediate response as Darren Harkin sprinted clear of the Aileach defence and he chipped McGeady.

On the stroke of half-time Villa managed to get back on level terms when a cross was fumbled by the keeper and James Boyd sent an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.

Darren Harkin then turned his marker before firing an unstoppable shot past McGeady and into the bottom corner .

On 70 minutes Eddie McIntyre drilled a 25 yard free kick past McGilloway to ensure the points were shared.

Moville Celtic. . . . . . . . . . 1

Brandywell Celtic. . . . . 4

Moville took the lead on 41 minutes when Ritchie McElhinney slotted home.

The visitors got back on terms minutes after the restart when Mark McLaughlin fired low past Martin Mclaughlin.

A few minutes later McLaughlin broke clear on the left and cut in to drill a low shot past the goalkeeper from 12 yards.

Midway through the half Paul Doherty fired a brilliant free kick into top corner.

Brandywell sealed the win when Mark McLaughlin found the net.

Clonmany Shamrocks . . 0

Creggan Swifts . . . . . . . . . 3

Creggan striker, Declan Divin broke the deadlock on 20 minutes when he drove the ball low past Paddy Harkin at his near post.

Within four minutes Creggan doubled their lead when Darren McCready latched onto a loose ball 25 yards out and his powerful drive beat Paddy Harkin’s dive to nestle in the bottom right hand corner.

Creggan sealed their victory on 68 minutes when Marron ran down the left wing and found Divin on the penalty spot who dispatched his shot to the net.

Clonmany did threaten late on with Paul McLaughlin and Michael Devlin troubling McConnell with shots from outside the box but Creggan held out to win convincingly.