Derry City have concerns over Ryan McBride

Ryan McBride
Ryan McBride


Derry City may have brought their league season to an end on a losing note at Dalymount Park on Friday night, but team boss, Peter Hutton, will be more concerned with the health of Ryan McBride.

His experienced centre-back was withdrawn from the action with 10 minutes remaining with concussion, forcing the visitors to finish with 10 men as all three substitutes had been made.

In the end, it was a deserved victory for Bohemians and the second half certainly lacked any quality, their strong finish to the opening period fashioned this win.

Derry actually opened the game on the front foot and having exerted pressure on the home side, Peter Hutton’s men broke the deadlock in the 13th minute.

Mark Timlin, playing wide on the right, drove a superb low shot past keeper, Dean Delaney, to silence the small Dalymount Park attendance.

However, the “Candystripes” seemed to take their eye off the ball afterwards with keeper, Gerard Doherty, doing well to deny Dinny Corcoran and Karl Moore as the home side sparked to life.

And Bohemians’ pressure reaped dividends in the 32nd minute when a cross into the danger area was not dealt with and Corcoran controlled on his chest before driving the ball into the net.

Struggling to get to grips with the game, Derry City then conceded a penalty in the 45th minute when keeper, Doherty coillided with Steven Beattie and referee, Andrew Mulally pointed to spot and Doherty receiving a yellow card.

The Derry dugout will have breathed a sigh of relief askeeper, Doherty, could have been shown a red card which would have kept him out of the cup final next weekend.

As it was, Jason Byrne lashed the spotkick high into the net, to give the home side a deserved 2-1 lead.

The quality of the game disintegrated after the break, Bohemians content to sit on their slender advantage and Derry struggling to make any impact in the final third.

With 12 minutes remaining, half-time substitute, McBride, sustained a head injury and while he appeared to okay after prolonged treatment, the centre-back was withdrawn.

During injury time Bohemians were awarded a second penalty when Cocoran was brought to earth inside the area but having dusted himself down, the striker drove the ball wide of the target.

Bohemians - Delaney, Memery, Lopes, Price, Moore, Byrne (Hyland, 90), Corcoran, Wearen, Devaney (Kavanagh, 90), Buckley (Walsh, 90), Beattie.

Derry City - Doherty, Jarvis, Molloy, McEleney, Ventre, Boyle (Dooley, 71), Tracey, Houston (Lowry, 14), Timlin, Curran, Barry (McBride, h/t).

Referee - Mr. A. Mullally (Dublin).