Derry City manager Stephen Kenny has denied that the club have had enquiries over the availability of left-back Daniel Lafferty.
An article appeared in the Irish Daily Star yesterday linking the 22 year-old former Celtic player with a move to English Championship side Brighton and Hove Albion.
It is believed that Brighton manager Gus Poyet is close to tabling an offer for the Derry defender.
“We have had no enquiries about Daniel,” said Kenny. “It was news to me when I heard about a story linking him with a move to Brighton.”
Lafferty, who signed for Derry at the beginning of last year has been one of the team’s best players in the Premier Division last season.
Against Dundalk FC last weekend he set-up Eamon Zayed for the game’s opener and scored the winning goal in the second half.
In an interview with the Sunday Journal 39 year-old Dubliner Kenny said Lafferty’s displays this year have impressed him and said that some people even questioned his decision to buy the player in the first place.
“I think the rate of improvement of Daniel Lafferty has impressed this season. This time last year people were coming up to me and saying that they thought Daniel wasn’t good enough. He’s performed out of skin this year and he’s been an integral part of why the team has done so well.
“I’ve also been really impressed with how well Shane McEleney and Ryan McBride have improved. Ryan’s experienced a dramatic improvement and Stephen McLaughlin has come on leaps and bounds too.
“Ruaidhri Higgins has also had a great season. People asked me why I thought we needed him when I signed him again but Ruaidhri’s passing is superb and he’s responsible for giving the team the reputation of being a good passing side.
“All of the players have had good seasons. We don’t have the depth of Sligo Rovers and Shamrock Rovers but we gave it a good shot,” said Kenny.