Derry boxer Paul McCloskey has agreed “in principle” to fight interim WBA super-lightweight champion Marcos Maidana in the first week of September, the Sunday Journal has learned.
News of the possible bout between ‘Dudey’ and the 27 year-old Argentinean broke on Friday afternoon on the social networking site Twitter.
The Sunday Journal understands that McCloskey’s management team have been in negotiations with Maidana’s adviser Sebastián Contursi for last few days. However, the story became public when McCloskey, using his own personal Twitter account, said to Maidana: “A fight with me here will fill any arena, lets give the fans what they want. Lets do it!!”
The Dungiven southpaw’s representative and father-in-law, Francie McNicholl, confirmed to the Sunday Journal yesterday afternoon that he had been in contact with Contursi and that he said that if everything goes according to plan 31 year-old McCloskey could be back in the ring as early as the beginning of September.
“We’ve agreed the fight with Maidana’s people in principle and if it goes ahead it looks like it could be held in either Northern Ireland or in the Republic,” said Mr. McNicholl. “Negotiations are still ongoing but we are very happy with the exchanges so far.”
McCloskey’s last fight ended controversially when he lost to current WBA light-welterweight champion Amir Khan in a technical points decision after sustaining a cut above his eye in the sixth round. Like McCloskey, Maidana also lost to Khan in December 2010.
Khan announced on Twitter last month that he has agreed to fight Zab Judah in an apparent attempt to unify the IBF and WBA light-welterweight titles. As interim super-lightweight champion, the winner of a possible bout between McCloskey and Maidana would then become mandatory challenger for the WBA light-welterweight title, which could mean a repeat of the infamous Khan bout for the former St. Canice’s man could be on the cards - should the Bolton fight beat Judah in Las Vegas in July.
“Should the fight between Paul and Maidana go ahead I think both camps would be keen to portray their respective boxers as the men who were robbed by Amir Khan. Whoever is interim super-lightweight champion after the Khan v Juduh fight will be the mandatory challenger which could mean another fight with Khan. But many things could happen between now and then so we’ll just have to wait and see,” said Mr. McNicholl.