Remedial work underway after legionella bacteria is discovered in Derry nursing home water supply

Remedial work is already underway at the Greenhaw Lodge Care Centre in Derry after legionella bacteria was discovered in the home’s water system.

Thursday, 24th September 2020, 12:19 pm

Yesterday the RQIA said enforcement action had been taken at the Racecourse Road nursing home and that it had asked the operator to provide alternative accommodation for its 39 elderly residents while the water system was repaired.

A spokesperson for the nursing home acknowledged the finding from the RQIA Failure to Comply Notices following an inspection on September 8, 2020.

“As a result of these inspections, preventative maintenance checks and water sampling was undertaken in Greenhaw Lodge. The results of the sampling showed levels of legionella bacteria in the home’s water system.

"Legionella bacteria is naturally occurring in water systems and commonly found in samples. We would like to assure all our residents and their families that no residents or staff of the home has legionnaires disease and no residents or staff are showing any symptoms.

“With remedial work already underway, the RQIA has taken the decision to temporarily relocate our residents from the home to other care facilities. Our staff’s immediate priority is to update the families of residents and manage their safe rehoming, with as little disruption as possible. This is being managed in partnership with Western Health and Social Care Trust, and RQIA," the spokesperson said.

The home pledged to modernise the facility and apologised to residents and their families.

“We will use this time to upgrade the facility in-line with the modern requirements needed for the longer term well-being of the residents in our care. Our Senior Management Team is committed to working in partnership with RQIA and the Western Health and Social Care Trust to ensure all actions required to comply with regulations are implemented as soon as possible.”

“We sincerely apologise to our residents and their families for the inconvenience that this will cause," the spokesperson said.