A Derry father has said he was “shocked” to discover a ‘bong’ for smoking cannabis just yards from one of the city’s busiest tourist attractions.
The man was speaking after he found the bong, at steps leading from Joseph’s Place to Fahan Street in the Bogside. “I was out with my children and walked through the steps and found a bong and bottles and broken glass everywhere. Children should not have to see things like this,” he said.
Sinn Féin councillor Maeve McLaughlin said; “It is very worrying that this is taking place within yards of local homes and just off one of the busiest tourist routes in our city. Sadly this is problem that is being faced by many areas across the city due to good weather this week. It’s worrying that drug taking paraphernalia has been found and I would urge local parents to warn their children about the dangers about touching or lifting objects in the street.”