Chef treated for injuries after restaurant gutted in fire

A chef were today recovering from injuries sustained when a fire broke out at a Chinese restaurant in Derry city centre.

Monday, 25th April 2016, 8:42 am
Updated Monday, 25th April 2016, 10:44 am
The sun shining through the fire damaged roof of Rainbow Chinese restaurant on Carlisle Road on Monday morning.

The fire broke out at Rainbow Cantonese Restaurant and Takeaway on Carisle Road yesterday morning, and it is believed the kitchen, which was on the first floor, and restaurant have been gutted in the accidental blaze.

The chef was treated in hospital for minor burns after staff were evacuated from the building.

More than 30 fire-fighters spent several hours tackling the blaze and an aerial appliance was used to jet water onto the roof.

Eyewitneses described how the fire at one point became so intense that tiles popped off the roof, with flames visible from the street.

The Salvation Army had to be evacuated from their hall during their Sunday morning service.

The building and several other adjoining premises remained cordoned off this morning.

The local firm took to their Facebook page on Sunday night to tell customers: “Rainbow will be closed until further notice.”

A number of local people have sent messages of support to the staff at the popular restaurant via social media.

One person wrote “Hope yous re-open soon and not too much damage done.”

Another wrote: “Hope all your lovely staff are safe, buildings can be replaced.”