Claudy relative gives up hope of finding justice

The aftermath of the bomb attacks in Claudy in July 1972. (3107MM08)
The aftermath of the bomb attacks in Claudy in July 1972. (3107MM08)

A relative of one of those killed in the Claudy bombing 40 years ago has said he has given up any hope of getting justice.

Gordon Miller, whose father, David, was one of nine people killed in the bomb attacks on the county Derry village on July 31 1972, was speaking ahead of the 40th anniversary of the atrocity.

Relatives of those killed are planning to attend a commemoration service at the memorial monument in the town but Mr Miller said he is not intending to go to the ceremony.

Nine people were killed when three no-warning car bombs exploded in the village 40 years ago. The IRA have been blamed for planting the bombs although no group has ever claimed responsibility.

Senior republican sources have claimed on a number of occasions that the IRA was not responsible. However, this has continually been rejected by many of the relatives of those killed in the bomb attacks.

Mr Miller has said he now believes that those responsible will never be caught. “To be honest, it is too late for us nor. It’s been too long; there will be no justice or truth,” he said.

“That is something we have to face up to now,” he added.

He also said that he does not expect republicans to provide any answers to the families of those killed. “They cannot be trusted. What they want is for people like myself to die off, so they never have to face up to what they did. There are a few relatives of Claudy who have already passed away.

“The IRA has never even admitted responsibility, so how can you ever expect to find who was involved in the bombing? It’s never going to happen,” he said.

Mr Miller also said he has not heard anything from the PSNI about the Claudy investigation for more than a year. “I haven’t heard anything from the police in well over a year. I’m not angry or surprised about that. I know that they will probably not get anybody for this. As I have said it’s too late now.”

The PSNI confirmed that the investigation into the bomb attacks is continuing. “Following a review of the case, police inquiries are being conducted into the atrocity at Claudy in what was a substantial and complex incident,” a spokesperson said.

“However, resources to complete these inquiries have to be balanced against competing current and historical demands within the crime operations caseload. For investigative and operational reasons, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time. Our thoughts are with victims and their familes at this difficult time,” the spokesperson added.

The bomb attacks in Claudy took place at the same time as ‘Operation Motorman,’ a major British army operation in Derry to retake the ‘no-go’ areas of the Bogside and Creggan. The commemoration ceremony will be held at the memorial in Claudy at 10.10am today, the time the first bomb exploded in the village.