22-year-old accused of supplying diazepam

editorial image

A 22-year-old man has appeared in court accused of supplying diazepam.

Dylan Smith, of Glenview Street, is further charged with possessing cannabis, possessing diazepam and obstructing police powers to search for drugs.

The charges relate to an alleged incident on October 17.

Derry Magistrate’s Court heard the defendant had been granted bail on imitation firearm charges the day before and he allegedly breached the conditions of this bail by possessing non-prescribed drugs.

It is alleged police were on patrol in the Drumleck Drive area of Shantallow when they saw Smith hand a small white box to another man.

When officers approached the 22-year-old he allegedly ran off but he was apprehended a short time later.

Officers searched the other man and found cannabis and 14 diazepam tablets.

This man was ‘visibly shaken’ and had no idea what Smith had given him.

He was allowed to leave the area by police.

During police interview, Smith allegedly admitted possessing the drugs and passed them to a friend when he saw the officers.

He also allegedly claimed that he intended to get the drugs back after the police left.

The court heard Smith also told police he was sorry and wanted to get help for his drug addiction.

He said he had bought the drugs from an unknown male for £25.

Opposing bail, an investigating officer told the court police have concerns that he has shown ‘blatant disregard’ for bail conditions.

She said that Smith was released on high court bail just over 24 hours before he was arrested for these offences.

The officer said police also had fears Smith would commit further offences to get illegal substances.

Defence solicitor Keith Kyle said the alleged supply was ‘technical’ and there was ‘no suggestion it was for commercial gain’.

He said his client passed the drugs onto a friend because he was ‘fearful of breaching bail’.

District Judge Barney McElholm refused bail because Smith ‘got a chance and he spurned it’.

He said Smith has shown ‘no desire to deal with his drug problem’ after being released on bail.

The judge said he would re-consider bail if a residential programme was available.

Smith was remanded in custody to appear in court again via videolink on November 12.