33-year-old accused of assault ‘restrained by workmen’

A man accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend allegedly had to be restrained by Housing Executive workmen, a court has heard.

Robert James Bovaird, of Bond’s Hill, is charged with possessing an iron bar and a knife, assaulting his former partner and threatening to damage her home on January 25.

The 33-year-old is further charged with assaulting the workmen, threatening to kill them, disorderly behaviour and resisting police.

Derry Magistrates Court heard claims that police received two 999 calls regarding the domestic incident.

One of these was from the woman and the other was from the Housing Executive.

They reported that Bovaird had a knife and an iron bar.

When police arrived, it was alleged the 33-year-old was being restrained by four men.

The court heard allegations Bovaird and his former partner had an argument in the early hours of the morning.

He allegedly attempted to choke the woman and threatend to damage her property.

Bovaird was taken away from the property by his mother.

However, he allegedly returned at around 11am.

The court heard claims there were workmen employed by the Housing Executive in the house at the time.

They allegedly stopped Bovaird coming in to the house and he produced an iron bar.

Two more workmen arrived and they allegedly escorted Bovaird out as he made threats to them.

Bovaird allegedly left for a short time and returned 15 minutes later with a knife.

The court was told the workmen restrained him until police arrived.

Police opposed bail for fear of further offences and interference with witnesses.

Defence solicitor Keith Kyle said there was no domestic history between the couple and the alleged injured party has indicated she does not want to attend court.

He added his client was willing to reside at an address a few miles away from her home.

Bovaird was released on his own bail of £750, with one surety of £500, and ordered to have no contact with the alleged injured party’s or witnesses.

The 33-year-old must also abide by a curfew and must not enter the Waterside except to attend doctors appointments.

He is scheduled to appear in court again on February 18.