Accused of stabbing brother

The courthouse at Bishop Street, Derry.
The courthouse at Bishop Street, Derry.

A 40-year-old Derry man has appeared in court accused of stabbing his brother and another man.

Patrick John Catterson, of Cranagh Terrace, is charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and possession of a knife with intent to commit an indictable offence.

The charges relate to an alleged incident at a flat in Waterloo Place in the early hours of July 6.

An investigating officer told Derry Magistrate’s Court he believed he could connect the 40-year-old to the charges.

The court heard allegations that Catterson was with his brother and another man in the flat and they were watching TV.

It is alleged in the early hours of the morning the 40-year-old went out to the kitchen and armed himself with two knives, one in each hand.

He allegedly lunged towards the other man and struck him in the face with the knife. The man allegedly sustained an injury to his eye area which required stitches.

There was alleged a struggle between the three men and Catterson’s brother sustained cuts to his hand and his arms.

The court heard he managed to take the knives from the 40-year-old and he left the property.

Police were called and it is alleged there was blood throughout the property.

It is further alleged that Catterson phoned his brother later that morning and threatened him ‘if he pressed charged he would come round and sort it out’.

Opposing bail, the investigating officer said police feared the defendant would interfere with witnesses and commit further offences.

Defence counsel Nicki Rountree said her client had made the case he was acting in self-defence.

She said the 40-year-old had sustained injuries to his chest, arms and fingers.

The barrister told the court that all three men were heavily intoxicated and Catterson claimed he was attacked.

She urged the court to release her client on bail with stringent conditions.

The barrister added that there was no other address available to Catterson outside the city.

District Judge Barney McElholm refused bail and said there was a clear risk of interfering with witnesses and further offences, as it was alleged Catterson had already threatened his brother.

However, he said he might consider bail if there was an address somewhere ‘far enough away from this city’.

Catterson was remanded in custody to appear in court again via videolink on July 30.