A new murder investigation into the events of Bloody Sunday in Derry is to re-start next week.
It’s understood that, on Monday, a team of twelve detectives will be assigned to senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison, and the murder investigation will recommence.
Towards the end of last year, the PSNI revealed that, due to budgetary constraints, it was effectively ending the multiple murder investigation.
Speaking on Thursday morning, Peter Madden, of Madden & Finucane Solicitors, who represents many of the families of those killed and wounded on Bloody Sunday, said: “On November 10 last, we lodged judicial review proceedings on behalf of the Bloody Sunday families and wounded challenging the decision of the Police Service of Northern Ireland to effectively end its murder investigation into the events of Bloody Sunday.
“Since that time, and in advance of a court hearing, we have engaged in extensive and detailed correspondence with the PSNI, challenging the legality of its decisions and decision-making process.”
He added: “We cautiously welcome this development. We will be meeting with DCI Harrison shortly in order to seek assurances in relation to the police’s commitment to seeing this investigation through to a successful conclusion and, in particular, that this investigation will be adequately resourced to enable it do so and to restore public confidence.”
The move has been welcomed by Sinn Fein MLA Raymond McCartney.
He said: “We called on the PSNI to honour the commitments given to the Bloody Sunday families in 2012 that a full and proper investigation would be carried out.
“Sinn Féin supported the families’ call that this investigation be properly resourced to ensure the relatives get access to justice.
“This will help engender public confidence in the investigation.
“We will continue to support the Bloody Sunday families in their campaign for truth and justice.”