Buncrana accused refused bail

Jonathan Gibson appeared at Carndonagh District Court
Jonathan Gibson appeared at Carndonagh District Court

A judge has refused to grant bail to a Buncrana man charged with attempting to enter a vehicle and two counts of theft.

Jonathan Gibson, 10 Taobh An Tsruthain, Rockytown, Buncrana, appeared at Carndonagh District Court on Tuesday from custody.

He is charged with attempting to get into a mechanically propelled vehicle while it was stationary, on June 16th at an address at Allendale, Buncrana. He is also charged with stealing a Nintendo DS at the same address and stealing a black Nokia phone, a 50 euro note and three 20 euro notes, the property of one person, also at an address at Allendale on June 16th.

Garda Grainne McLoone told the court that on June 17th at 1.05am, she arrested Gibson at his address and at 1.44am he was charged. He made no reply.

Garda Inspector David Murphy said the matter was “under investigation” and told Judge Paul Kelly they were objecting to bail. He said this was due to the seriousness of the charges, the strength of evidence and because Gibson was in breach of a High Court bail condition, which ordered him to adhere to a curfew between 10pm and 8am. Insp. Murphy said this was breached at 3am on June 16th. When the court heard Gardai viewed CCTV at that time, Gibson replied: “That’s not me. That’s my brother, I told you that.” The Garda said there was “no doubt” in her mind it was Gibson. She said Gardai obtained a search warrant on Monday and a Nintendo DS and a black mobile phone were found in Gibson’s house. These were identified by the injured parties as their property and have been sent for forensic and fingerprint analysis.

Gibson’s solicitor Walter Hegarty applied for bail, stating Gibson’s girlfriend gave evidence he was with her overnight. He said Gibson had not been able to view the CCTV evidence or “rebut it” and told Gardai others had access to his home. “No-one identifies him as being involved in an act of theft,” he said. Judge Kelly said he was satisfied Gibson had breached his bail conditions and remanded him in custody to appear at Harristown District Court today. Friday.