Gilchrist killer back in jail for ‘thuggish’ behaviour

editorial image

A 26-year-old man who served a prison term for his role in the shocking killing of a Derry musician in 2005, has been jailed again today for what his solicitor described as “drunken, boorish and thuggish” behaviour.

Daryl Quigley of Gorteen Crescent, Limavady - who admitted the manslaughter of guitarist Jim Gilchrist - was convicted at Limavady Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday of disorderly behaviour, indecent behaviour and assault on police. He was sentenced to four months in jail.

The court heard the offences were committed days after last Christmas on Quigley’s first night out drinking since his release from prison.

A prosecutor told the court Quigley was seen on Linenhall Street in Limavady on December 27, 2012 at 12.40am with his trousers open and his penis fully exposed. The street was busy with revellers.

Quigley was approached by police and told to stop. He became abusive and shouted: “F*** off you fenian scum”. He was warned about his behaviour and then shouted: “I’ve done 15 years in prison; I’ll stab you.” The court heard the “verbal tirade” continued and Quigley was subsequently arrested.

The court heard at the police station Quigley lured a PSNI officer into the cell by tying his jeans around his neck as if to self harm. Quigley then punched the custody sergeant twice and kicked out.

Defence solicitor Don Mahoney said Quigley’s behaviour was unacceptable, and that he was extremely drunk. He said it was the first night out drinking since his release.

Mr. Mahoney said Quigley did not want to go back to prison and his behaviour was “drunken, boorish and thuggish”.

District Judge Paul Copeland referred to Quigley’s bad record, including a conviction for manslaughter, and imposed a four month jail sentence for all offences.

Daryl Quigley was jailed for ten years for his part in the death of Jim Gilchrist, the 62-year-old father-of-five and grandfather who was found floating in the River Foyle after he was attacked on his way home from a meeting of his local motorcycle club in September, 2005.

One man was sentenced to life imprisonment for Mr Gilchrist’s murder, while Quigley and another man were jailed for 10 years for manslaughter.

Following his release, Quigley was last year jailed for 18 months for repeatedly breaching the terms of his probation order, both by missing appointments and also by breaking the rules of the hostel where he was staying.