Jailed for “scandalous behaviour”

Court hammer
Court hammer

A man who assaulted a female bar tender has been jailed for three months.

Anthony Elliott, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to common assault, disorderly behaviour on a licensed premises and criminal damage.

He also admitted possessing Cannabis.

The charges relate to an incident in the Premier Inn on June 22nd.

The 41-year-old had been released on bail following the incident and went for treatment in an addiction facility.

However, he was arrested again on Sunday for breach of bail at a bus station in Omagh.

The court heard he was ‘drunk and disruptive’ even though he was banned from consuming alcohol.

A breath test gave a reading of 155 mgs. in 100 mls. of breath.

In June, Elliott was drinking in the Premier Inn.

He was asked by staff to moderate his behaviour because he was using ‘profane language’ during a telephone call.

The 41-year-old became verbally abusive to staff in the bar.

His drink was taken off him because the bar was about to close.

A moment later, Elliot approached the bar demanding his drink back.

He pushed the injured party, consumed one mouthful of his drink and then threw the glass at the woman’s feet.

There was a heated exchange between Elliot, staff members and other patrons of the bar and he left the scene.

The court was told the 41-years-old was arrested in a residential area a short distance away from the bar. During a search of the defendant, police found a small amount of Cannabis.

Defence solicitor Ciaran McGuinness said his client is a man who is ‘having really serious problems with alcohol’.

He said Elliott had never been in trouble before and knows his behaviour on this night was ‘scandalous.’

The solicitor said the the defendant wished to apologise for his actions.

He added that this incident was when the defendant ‘hit a wall’ and that caused him to seek treatment for his alcohol addiction.

Jailing Elliott, District Judge Barney McElholm said the incident in the Premier Inn was ‘absolutely scandalous and disgraceful.’

He added: ‘That young lady shouldn’t have suffered the physical abuse - being pushed around with thumbs dug into her neck - or the verbal abuse she suffered.

“During an interview with the police this man called her a liar and made very disparaging remarks about her.

“All she was trying to do was her job’.