Kicked and stamped

A woman has told a Glasgow Court how watching from her window she saw two men kick and stamp her Inishowen partner to death as if “breaking up furniture”.

Anne Marie Newlands, 48, had been waiting for Malin Head man William McKeeney (below) to come home when she grew concerned about the young Asian men’s behaviour.

Miss Newlands said: “I was looking out for Willie but the second time I looked out I thought they were breaking up a piece of furniture in the street.They were kicking and stamping on something and they were both doing it. I thought they were breaking something up.I decided I would phone Willie and tell him to watch out because there were two boys and I didn’t like the look of them.”

The alleged killing took place yards from the couple’s home in Pollockshields, Glasgow, on January 15.

Miss Newlands said the shorter of the pair stood back and said something to the “very tall” man, who stamped six or eight more times before they both “sauntered around the corner”. She stood on a trunk to get a better view of the object on the ground then realised it was a person.

Asif Rehman, 20, and Adel Ishaq, 19, deny the aggravated murder of Mr McKeeney, 57, by repeatedly punching, kicking, stamping and jumping on his head and body.

Advocate depute Tim Niven-Smith, prosecuting, said: “You realised it was Willie, your partner of 12 years, on the ground. How was he?” Miss Newlands replied: “He was on his back. I was panicking because no-one else was there. I tried to speak to him but realised he was not responding so I phoned 999.The court then heard a harrowing recording of the emergency call

Miss Newlands later picked out Asif Rehman at an identity parade.

Rehman and Ishaq, prisoners at Polmont Young Offenders Institution, deny the racially aggravated murder of Mr McKeeney and showing previous malice and ill-will towards him. Rehman is said to have been on bail at the time.Ishaq denies attempting to defeat the ends of justice by giving clothing and footwear to Umar Bhatti, who allegedly burned and destroyed them, and attempting to induce Bashir Ahmed to give him £500 so he could flee Glasgow.

The trial continues.