Man admits frauding Credit Union and a building society

The case was heard at Bishop Street courthouse.
The case was heard at Bishop Street courthouse.

A Derry man who admitted fraudulently obtaining money from the local Credit Union and a building society has been placed on probation at the Crown Court today.

Keith Deehan (31) of Jacqueline Way in Derry admitted four charges relating to the offences.

Derry's Courthouse on Bishop Street. 3003JM66

Derry's Courthouse on Bishop Street. 3003JM66

A Crown barrister said that on October 31, 2012, police had gone to an address under the proceeds of crime act and at Deehan’s address the examination of a number of items revealed irregularities in the purchase of his house.

It was found he had obtained a mortgage of more than £73,000 from the Halifax Building Society on the basis of a letter on headed notepaper from Allied Ship Services claiming he was in full time employment with them.

The court heard that he had never been employed by that company.

In relation to another of the charges the court heard that Deehan obtained a number of loans from the Credit Union on the same basis, at least one of these for the sum of £10,000.

Deehan was charged with acquiring criminal property and the court heard that some of the money obtained had been used to buy another property and other amounts to pay off the mortgages Deehan had.

At interview Deehan admitted having obtained a letterhead from the company and securing the loans.

The prosecution barrister said that there was no money outstanding and all the loans had been repaid.

Defence barrister Mr. Ivor McAteer said that no one was at any loss as a result of Deehan’s actions.

He said there was ‘a strangeness’ about the case in that some of the loans taken out by Deehan would be given in cash which he would then place in a drawer and then a few days later pay the loan off.

The barrister said Deehan’s deceit was not intended to put anyone at a loss or make any gain for himself.

Judge Philip Babington said it was ‘a calculated deceit’ and added that if he had pleaded not guilty and been convicted he would have gone to prison.

The judge imposed a sentence of 18 months probation.