A Donegal road safety campaigner has pleaded with motorists to slow down after a national speeding operation found some of the most shocking detections were in Inishowen.
Mary Clinton, who founded the Action Campaign for Education Against Road Tragedies (A-CEART) 12 years ago today, made the call after the results of the major crackdown operation were revealed.
The Gardai’s ‘Operation Slow Down’ initiative took place across Ireland over 24 hours through to 7.00 a.m. on Saturday, in conjunction with GoSafe.
Of the 13 “notable speed occurences” highlighted by the authorities, two were in Inishowen. The first involved a driver being recorded driving at 128km/hour in an 80 kms/h our zone on the R240 at Cashel, outside Carndonagh.
The second episode involved a driver travelling at 100km/hour in the 80 kms/hour zone on the R238at Lisfannon near Buncrana.
Mary Clinton said that the incidence of speeding detected locally was a cause for concern.
“It makes me sad when you think of the history of road tragedies in Inishowen,” she said, while stressing that it was important to highlight all the good work that has been achieved over the years.
She added that generally, the road safety message has reached most people.
“The year I started there were almost 400 people killed nationally. Today that is 166. In Donegal there were 22 people killed on the roads that year I started A-CEART. This year we are down to one so far. That’s a big improvement, but one life lost is still one too many ”
Chief Superintendent Aidan Reid, Garda National Traffic Bureau, meanwhile, thanked those drivers who continue to be compliant and drive within the speed limit.
For more information on A-Ceart go to: www.a-ceart.com.