PSNI issue 'HERBAL ECSTASY' warning after teen found vomiting on street

Police have issued a warning about a drug referred to as herbal ecstasy after a member of the public found a 14 year-old girl vomiting in the street.

Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 3:34 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th September 2017, 11:11 am
Salvia is a dangerous drug, say the PSNI.

"Most of you may not have heard of it [Salvia], but it's about time you did. Salvia is a drug, one of the so called psychoactive substances," said the PSNI.

"It's sometimes referred to as herbal ecstasy, and usually comes in dried leaf form. We've been lead to believe however that it is now in liquid form, possibly able to be smoked in an e cig. Whatever has been done to it though, it's not good.

The PSNI added: "This girl was found by a caring member of the public. She was alone, throwing up, and according to our NIAS colleagues, had such a racing heart rate it was possible she'd had a fit. The same day, we discovered that an off duty nurse had had to REVIVE a teenage boy who had the same symptoms.

"Folks, if you're experimenting, THINK. If you don't know what it is, don't put it in your body. If these teenagers hadn't been found and had choked on their own puke, it would be two deaths we're talking about."

The PSNI went on to warn parents to be on their guard.

"Parents- make your kids aware of what this stuff does and also of the reality of what dealers do: they care about nothing but profit. They will mix their products with anything if they think it will give a bigger hit and keep people coming back. You'd unblock drains with some of the filth they use.

"If you have any information on who is dealing Salvia, talk to us. We want to prevent this happening again, but we need your help with it. Call 101, or alternatively you can speak to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."