Robbery accused ‘heard voices in his head’

editorial image

A teenager has appeared in court accused of carrying out a “pre-meditated robbery” in the city centre.

A teenager has appeared in court accused of carrying out a “pre-meditated robbery” in the city centre.

John Timpson, of Jefferson Court, faces one charge of robbery of cash on January 17.

Derry Magistrates Court heard allegations the 19-year-old robbed a man outside a bank in Shipquay Place a short time after he cashed two work cheques worth £2,500.

The incident is alleged to have occurred at around 10:30 in the morning and Timpson is accused of approaching the man from behind and taking an envelope containing the money out of his hand.

It was claimed the man chased the teen but lost him on the city’s walls. However, the court heard that a member of the public told the alleged injured party the culprit had run into the Foyle Street bus depot.

The court heard that police later spoke to staff at the bus depot and checked CCTV.

Timpson was identified by officers on CCTV from the bank and the bus depot and his address was checked.

It was revealed that police allegedly found what “appear to be plans in relation to this robbery which mentioned alibis and the use of fake tattoos”.

An investigating officer told the court Timpson evaded police for four days after the incident and handed himself into the station on January 22.

During interview the teen claimed he “heard voices in his head telling him to rob people”. He further claimed that he could not remember what happened after he left the bank because he had “blanked out” and all he remembered was waking up in Creggan two days later.

Opposing bail, the officer said it was an on-going investigation and police were concerned he could interfere with that.

She added that the 19-year-old’s address was too close to the bank, somewhere the alleged injured party attends on a regular basis.

Refusing bail. District Judge Barney McElholm said “this was a pre-meditated robbery” and it was unclear if it was just “coincidence he followed the injured party into the bank or some scouting was done”.

Timpson was remanded in custody and will appear in court again via videolink on February 14.