A man accused of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl has had his bail conditions suspended to return home to the Czech Republic for Christmas.
District Judge Barney McElholm warned 40-year-old Czech national Tomas Varga that if he did not return ‘I will ensure an international arrest warrant is issued’.
Varga, of Union Street, Ballymoney, is charged with sexual assault of a child under 13 on June 6.
It is alleged he sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl in the Bowling Alley.
Earlier this week, he made an application to return to the Czech Republic between December 23 and January 3.
Police opposed the application for fear the defendant would not return to Northern Ireland.
A defence barrister told the court her client has not breached bail in the last six months.
She said he is ‘desperate to defend himself’ as he has maintained his innocence throughout the proceedings and fully intends to return.
District Judge Barney McElholm said if the ‘system was properly set up’ Czech police could hold onto the 40-year-old‘s identity card. However, he said ‘there is no proper system of co-operation between police services across the European Union’.
The judge granted the application and Varga will appear in court again on January 7.