Teen accused of assault released on bail
A teenager accused of assaulting his mother and her partner has been released on bail to live at the family home.
Derry Magistrate’s Court heard the 16-year-old’s mother and her partner do not wish the case to proceed.
The teen, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is charged with attempted grievous bodily harm with intent; common assault; criminal damage and possession of an offensive weapon.
He is further charged with theft and making a threat to damage property on August 15.
The court heard allegations that the teenager became angry and threw a chopping board against the wall.
He is alleged to have lifted two knives from the kitchen, stabbing one of them through a TV and throwing the other at his step father. This allegedly narrowly missed his head.
Opposing bail, an investigating officer said the boy has a history of breaching bail and disregarding Court Orders.
He added that police believe the teen in under threat from paramilitaries.
Defence counsel Stephen Chapman said there is a bail support package in place for the teen and he will be working closely with the Youth Justice Agency if released.
District Judge Peter King granted bail and said if the defendant had been an adult “I would have been quite happy to allow you to remain in custody.”
The boy was released with conditions to appear in court again later this month.