Teen accused of robbing tourists granted bail
A teenager accused of robbing Â£6 from Spanish tourists has been granted bail.
Seamus Martin Doherty, of no fixed abode, is charged with robbery, driving whilst disqualified and dangerous driving on July 3.
The 19-year-old is further charged with taking a vehicle causing damage and allowing himself to be carried in a stolen car.
These charges relate to an alleged incident in August, last year.
Derry Magistrate’s Court heard it is alleged on this date a vehicle was taken and driven to the grounds of Long Tower Youth Centre.
Two males were on board and they were allegedly doing hand brake turns in the car.
An investigating officer said police have intelligence to suggest Doherty was using the vehicle at this time.
In relation to the other alleged incident, the court heard four Spanish tourists were robbed outside the Foyle Language Centre.
Doherty allegedly approached the tourists, who were all teenagers, and told them he would slit their throats if they didn’t hand over their money.
He also put his hand in his pocket as if he was in possession of a knife.
The 19-year-old allegedly stole £6 in total from the tourists.
Police opposed bail for fear of further offences.
Defence solicitor Paddy MacDermott told the court the proposed bail address in Westland Street is suitable to police.
He said it was accepted the robbery was a ‘very, very nasty incident’ but his client has been in custody with no final decision in the case since July.
District Judge Barney McElholm granted bail with a number of conditions. Doherty will appear in court again on November 3.