Drug accused said to be '˜number one supplier in Donegal'

One of the three men allegedly caught with £300,000 worth of cannabis at Derrymacash outside Lurgan last month is the number one drugs supplier in Donegal, it was claimed last Friday at Craigavon Magistrates Court.

Thursday, 5th May 2016, 7:11 am
Updated Thursday, 5th May 2016, 12:02 pm

This claim was made during a bail application by Seamus Boyce, Glenwood Park, Letterkenny, who appeared by way of videolink from Maghaberry prison.

His two co-accused, Kieran Austin, (59), Annesborough Road, Lurgan, and Desmond Enfield, (32), Ramelton, Donegal, also appeared on videolink.

All three are charged with possession of cannabis on April 22 this year, having cannabis with intent to supply and being concerned in the supply of the drug.

Austin and Enfield did not apply for bail and were remanded in custody to appear again in court by way of videolink on May 27.

A bail application was made on behalf of Boyce.

Opposing bail a police officer said that the previous Friday at an industrial estate in Newry Boyce met with Enfield and about an hour and a half later they met with Austin in Derrymacash.

Police discovered in their vehicle 15 kilos of suspected herbal cannabis with a value of £300,000.

The officer added that Boyce initially gave an account to police but then over two days replied with no comment or no response interviews.

She told the court that Boyce was a close associate of Enfield who Garda believed was the number one drugs supplier in Donegal.

The officer opposed bail because of the defendant’s current address outside the jurisdiction and that there was a risk of flight.

A solicitor representing Boyce said that his client lived in Letterkenny and did not have far to travel if there was a reporting to police condition of his bail.

He also said that Boyce had believed it was tobacco in the vehicle.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said it was a ‘completely absurd’ application because the defendant had an address outside the jurisdiction and these were serious charges.

He felt there was a strong risk of flight and remanded Boyce in custody to appear by videolink on May 2.