A move by the Orange Order to reduce the number of participants at a controversial parade in Dungiven has been welcomed.
Sinn Fein councillor Sean McGlinchey said agreement was reached during talks last year that numbers at the Dungiven Faith & Crown Defenders LOL 2036 parade on June 12 would not increase beyond 75 participants.
Parade organisers had initially stated in their application to the Parades Commission the expected number of participants this year was 80.
However, it has now been confirmed that number has been revised.
A spokesperson on behalf of the Parades Commission said: “The organiser of the Dungiven Faith & Crown Defenders LOL 2036 parade notified for Sunday 12th June 2016 has contacted the Parades Commission to advise that the number of participants has reduced to 75.”
Colr. McGlinchey said: “It’s a welcome move on behalf of the Orange Order and I hope it will further enhance community relations in Dungiven.
“It shows how communities can work together, however, I will be asking for an independent review of the Parades Commission decision last week which placed no conditions on the parade when the expected participant number was 80; and how they came to that decision in light of the numbers reduced now at 75.”
There were fears locally there would be a protest on Sunday in Dungiven during the parade, however, Colr. McGlinchey believes the reduction in participant numbers to 75 will diffuse the situation.
For more on this story, read www.derryjournal.com/news/dungiven-orange-parade-fears-of-protest-1-7413940