Local pet owners have been advised to make sure their animals are not being left in cars during the current warm spell.
Sinn Féin Ballyarnett Councillor Sandra Duffy issued the warning as temperatures climbed in Derry this week.
Colr. Duffy said: “In recent years there have been some horrific stories about family pets dying after being locked in cars during high temperatures.
“People may think a similar incident couldn’t happen in Derry but it could very easily as many of this week’s temperatures have been very high.
“Can you imagine being locked in your car for even ten minutes and not being able to open the window or turn on the air conditioning on.
“Leaving a window open is not enough to prevent heatstroke under intense sunshine which can have fatal consequences. Heat stroke, also known as hyperthermia, means that body temperatures can reach an abnormal high and can result in damaging effects.”
The USPCA has also warned that leaving a dog inside a car can lead to heat stroke.