Gas leak closed sports complex

Templemore sports complex in Derry was closed On Tuesday due to a gas leak, it’s been confirmed.

The facility was evacuated shortly after noon following the activation of a gas detection system.

Fire service personnel and several fire appliances attended the scene as did engineers from a gas company.

Swimmers were given protective blankets as they exited the building to shield them from the elements.

A spokesperson for Firmus Energy, the gas provider for the complex, said a gas leak was detected and repaired within a short time.

“When the gas detection alarm went off, as standard procedure, Firmus Energy was asked to assist at Templemore Sports Complex. Our experienced engineer arrived very quickly and carried out a safety check in the boiler room and found a small leak in the pipework, installed by a third party, which goes into the boiler unit. Our engineer isolated the supply which then allowed the Templemore’s own Gas Safe engineer to repair the pipe work and associated fittings,” the spokesperson added.

A spokesperson for Derry City Council explained that “the gas detection system was activated” by the leak. She added: “The facility was evacuated and the Fire Service attended the scene, in keeping with the facility’s emergency plan. “

The facility was reopened shortly before 5pm.