‘Hero’ neighbour rescues pair from fire

editorial image

A double tragedy was narrowly averted in Ballymagroaty on Sunday, after a ‘have-a-go-hero’ rescued two people from a house fire.

The fire had been caused by an unattended chip pan catching alight.

The drama unfolded in Yeats Court, Ballymagroarty, shortly after 11pm on Sunday night.

The Fire Service yesterday confirmed one resident had saved two neighbours from the first floor flat blaze.

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Housing Executive said that the home was, “mainly smoke damaged but nothing more serious.”

The, as yet anonymous neighbour, rescued one male teenager and a female in her 30s. All three received minor injuries.

The female resident yesterday thanked her rescuer and all those who have assisted her since.

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service confirmed: “The teenager was treated by Fire Service personnel for burns using gel and the female and the neighbour were treated by ambulance crews for the effects of breathing in smoke.

“All three people were taken to hospital via ambulance.

“The incident was dealt with at 11.44pm.”

Two fire appliances from Northland Fire Station were deployed to the scene.

Foyle SDLP MLA Mark H. Durkan said: “This incident again displays both the importance of fitting and maintaining a working smoke detector and shows the value the Fire Service deliver to the community.

“The responding fire staff and the gentleman who rescued the pair are all heroes.

“They helped avoid a situation in which the city could have awoke to a double tragedy on Monday morning,” the local councillor added.