Limavady man threw ironing board at cop

Limavady Courthouse
Limavady Courthouse

A 34-year-old Limavady man who threw an ironing board at police was “out of his mind on drink” and had gone on a “mad spree”, a court has been told.

Daniel Francis Rafferty, whose address was given as College Court, appeared at Limavady Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday where he was sentenced for the offences of disorderly behaviour, three counts of assault on police and a further charge of resisting police.

The court heard police were called to College Court in Limavady at 9.15pm on June 26 following a report about a male acting erratically.

When police located the male, identified as Rafferty, he was sitting on the floor of his flat wearing boxer shorts and bleeding from the right hand. Police observed the kitchen window was smashed.

Another male was present trying to calm Rafferty down.

Rafferty told police to “f*** off”, and to get out of his house and said he didn’t like the police. He threw an ironing board at police and shouted abuse, including “RUC trash”, “you should be shot”.

As police tried to handcuff Rafferty, he pulled an officer to the floor and continued to shout abuse.

When Raffery was taken outside he continued to shout abuse and made suggestions that he knew where the officer lived and then attempted to headbutt an officer.

The court heard Rafferty had said he had been at a funeral in Greysteel and couldn’t remember anything about what happened.

Defence solicitor Peter Jack said Rafferty had been drinking all day and he had consumed 10-12 pints with whiskey on top. Mr Jack said people had been trying to help Rafferty and, instead, he had gone on “this mad spree”. He said Rafferty’s behaviour was “appalling” and he was “out of his mind on drink”.

Mr Jack urged the District Judge to throw Rafferty “a life-line”.

District Judge Liam McNally said when Rafferty drinks large amounts of alcohol, “the problem is you lose all sense of destablisation and behave like an absolute animal”.

District Judge Mcnally said he would defer sentence for one year and warned Rafferty that if he failed to engage with Probation services and committed any further offences he would be jailed for seven months.