Man jailed over Derry musician's killing beaten by crowbar-wielding gang - Court hears

A man convicted of manslaughter for his role in the killing of popular Derry blues musician Jim Gilchrist in 2005 was hospitalised after being viciously attacked in his home by masked men with crowbars when a gun jammed, it has emerged.

Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 3:30 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 8:49 pm
Ballymena Court.
Ballymena Court.

A defence lawyer for Daryl Quigley (29), whose address was given on court documents as Glenfield, Rasharkin, told Ballymena Magistrates Court one of the gang attempted to shoot his client but the “gun jammed” before he was viciously assaulted with crowbars and badly injured.

The attack happened in Rasharkin at 10pm on Thursday September 29 this year.

The details of the attack on Quigley emerged as the defendant, who has a substantial criminal record including several for theft, admitted a charge of stealing a £150 32-inch TV which he walked out of the Ballymena Sainsbury store with.

He was spotted on CCTV and when he returned to the store on a later date he was identified.

Jailing Quigley, the judge made reference to Quigley’s manslaughter conviction.

Jim Gilchrist – a well known blues musician in Derry – was set upon while on his way home from a motorcycle club meeting in September 2005.

The body of the 62-year-old father-of-five and grandfather was then dumped into the River Foyle.

Quigley was jailed for 10 years in 2008 for manslaughter but was released in 2011.

Jailing Quigley for the shoplifting offence, District Judge Chris Holmes said it was “somewhat ironic” the defendant had been the victim of a vicious assault as “hundreds if not thousands” of people had been victims of his crimes over the years which included a manslaughter conviction.

The judge told Quigley he was a “down and out thief” who was a “complete drain on society”.

Also at Ballymena Court on Thursday, Quigley was charged with hijacking a taxi belonging to Radio Taxis, Coleraine, and allegedly threatening to kill a man on December 17 last year.

On the same date he also allegedly stole a tv worth £199 from Asda.

When asked if he wished to say anything in relation to the charges he replied: “Not guilty”. He is due to appear for arraignment at Antrim Crown Court on November 24