A man has gone on trial accused of indecently assaulting his ex-girlfriend’s daughter ten years ago.
The 42-year-old, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the alleged victim, denies a total of four sex offences alleged to have been committed between September 9, 2001 and March 10, 2002.
They include one charge of indecent assault and four charges of gross indecency.
Opening the trial to a Derry Crown Court jury earlier this week, prosecuting counsel George Chesney said the complainant was ten-years-old at the time of the alleged offences.
The jury heard that the complainant’s mother formed a relationship with the man in early 2001 and they moved into his house a few weeks later.
After a couple of months the girl’s mother had to go to hospital for an operation. It is alleged that while her mother was kept in hospital overnight, the defendant indecently assaulted the girl.
The jury heard they will hear evidence that the complainant woke up in the early hours of the morning to find the man in her bedroom.
It was claimed he was “upset” and got into the girl’s bed.
The jury were told they will hear evidence that the man began to touch the child “inappropriately” and “forced her to touch him.”
It is alleged the girl left the house the following morning and did not return until her mother was discharged from hospital, but did not tell anyone about what had happened.
Prosecuting counsel George Chesney told the jurors they would hear evidence that over the next six months the man would make the ten-year-old touch him on occasions when “he had too much to drink”.
It is claimed that the abuse only stopped when the relationship between the girl’s mother and the 42-year-old ended and they moved out of his house.
The jurors were told the girl did not make a complaint to police about the alleged abuse until she was a “grown woman”.
They also heard the defendant was interviewed by police about the allegations and claimed they were “all lies”.