Man shot four times and given 24 hours to leave

Share this article

A man shot four times in a gun attack in Ewing Street on Tuesday night said his attackers told him he had 24 hours to get out of Derry.

Raymond Warnock was shot four times in the legs and arm after masked gunmen burst into his Ewing Street home, off Bishop Street, just before 10pm on Tuesday evening.

The gunmen also fired a number of shots through the window of a car parked outside the victim’s house as they left.

A local MLA said that a number of children were playing in the street at the time of the attack, which was later claimed by a ‘Republican’ vigilante group.

Mr Warnock said he had no idea why he was targeted.

Explaining what happened on Tuesday night, Mr Warnock said: “I would usually not lock my door, the door would be closed but not locked, and usually my friend across the street would come in.

“I just heard the door opening and I thought it was him.”

He said he was watching the news on television when the gunmen burst in.

“They were standing in the hallway for a couple of seconds, then the two of them burst in the door, wearing balaclavas and pulled out two guns.

“They asked me my name and they said: ‘You have 24 hours to leave Derry’.

“Then they started shooting. They shot me in the leg three times and in my arm once,” he said.


The shooting victim described his attackers as “cowards” and asked why he was attacked.

“I would like to know why, and whoever the cowards are to come forward and say why this was sanctioned in the first place. Who sanctioned this. Which group in the town did this?” he said.

Foyle SDLP MLA Mark H Durkan visited the scene on Tuesday night and condemned the shooting.

Mr Durkan said that local people were “shocked and disgusted” at the attack. It is certainly not an attack that has been carried out in the name of the people of Ewing Street, it is certainly not an attack that has been carried out in the name of the people of Derry,” the SDLP Assembly member told the ‘Journal.’