Man treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene of a report of a carbon monoxide alarm actuation at residential premises on the Northland Road on Tuesday morning.
Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene of a report of a carbon monoxide alarm actuation at residential premises on the Northland Road on Tuesday morning.

A man was taken to hospital after being treated for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a block of flats on the Northland Road in Derry on Tuesday.

Three Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) fire appliances attended the scene and fire fighters used breathing apparatus to enter the building.

“NIFRS received a call at 8:19am to a report of a carbon monoxide alarm actuation at residential premises at the Northland Road area of the city this morning (Tuesday August 4),” a NIFRS spokesperson told the ‘Journal’.

“Two fire appliances from Crescent Link Fire Station and one fire appliance from Northland Fire Station were deployed to the scene. Fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the premises. One male occupant was treated by Northern Ireland Ambulance personnel and has been taken to a nearby hospital.”

The man was taken to Altnagelvin Hospital’s accident and emergency unit where his condition has been described as stable.