The new multi-million sports complex in Dungiven is expected to retain the name of the current facility Dungiven Sports Pavilion, it has emerged.
Work officially started on the £2.8 million sports project on Curragh Road on Friday with Sports Minister Carál Ní Chuilín cutting the first sod.
Kieran McKeever from Dungiven Area Sports Forum said it was great to see the work started “and, hopefully, by next Easter the facilities will be up and running”.
Causeway Council have said: “It is to be expected that the facility will retain the name currently in use, that being Dungiven Sports Pavilion.”
However, Sinn Fein Colr. Sean McGlinchey believes the 40 Causeway councillors and the public should be involved in choosing a name for the new facilities.
“The public should have their say, and that could be done easily enough through an online poll,” said Colr. McGlinchey.
“Personally I have no problem with Dungiven Sports Centre, but it’s not a Pavilion.”
The sports minister said the new facilities will include a pavilion with dance studio, sports hall, gym, changing rooms and kitchen, while the complex will incorporate a floodlit 3G pitch.
“People of all ages and abilities will benefit, and I am particularly keen to ensure that people with disabilities and those who may not normally have access to sports facilities are accommodated,” said Minister Ní Chuilín.
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council was criticised after councillors there refused to provide funding for the project however they made the decision to support the Dungiven project at a meeting last month as it emerged that Department of Culture Arts and Leisure pledged to give it new funding for the development of sports facilities elsewhere in the borough.