All patients evacuated during dramatic scenes at Altnagelvin Hospital on Friday night were kept “comfortable and safe,” the Western Health and Social Services Board has said.
Chairman of the Trust, Gerard Guckian said Ward Managers also contacted family and relatives of patients who had been relocated.
Yesterday the Western Trust was actively progressing a return to normal activity, including the planned reoccupation of wards which were evacuated following the fire.
Seven wards were evacuated during the incident and approximately 120 patients were moved during this evacuation process.
In a statement issued at midnight on Friday, a Trust spokeswoman said: “Seven wards at Altnagelvin Hospital have been evacuated following a fire incident. Approximately 120 patients have been moved during the evacuation process.
“The majority of patients have been accommodated onsite and a small number of patients have been moved to other appropriate health and care settings in Londonderry. One patient from the Fermanagh area has been transferred to the South West Acute Hospital, Enniskillen.
“The incident is now under control. The evacuation process was assisted by the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service, Northern Ireland Ambulance Service, Police Service of Northern Ireland, Derry City Council and Translink.”
Chairman of the Trust, Gerard Guckian added: “All patients are comfortable and safe. Ward Managers are in the process of contacting family and relatives of those patients that have been relocated as a result of the incident. I would like to thank all the emergency services and our staff who acted swiftly to bring the situation under control.”
The Trust said planned operations would not be carried out at the hospital yesterday as a result of the fire..
Anyone who had any concerns about the incident was able to contact the hospital yesterday and information was also available via the Trust’s website and Facebook page.