SDLP Councillor Shauna Cusack has asked people to be aware of health and safety in the home during the festive season especially with Christmas lights and decorations.
“It’s that time of year when we are busy adorning our homes and trying to make them as festive and magical as we can for ourselves and our families. You only have to drive past a few houses to see the amount of effort and expense that many put into making their homes unique and special at this time of year.
“However it is very important that people remember that all electrical lights and gadgets should be treated with the same degree of care and diligence. Don’t leave lights on overnight and never unattended, though tempting, do not overload plug points and sockets and make sure the decorations you buy are to standard. It only takes one faulty item and your home and belongings could be at risk of fire.
“Christmas is a wonderful family time; don’t put yours in danger by neglecting to take proper home health and safety precautions.”