Search for missing Derry man stood down for afternoon
The search for a Derry man missing at the Isle of Doagh in Inishowen has been stood down for the afternoon due to weather conditions and a rising tide.
Lough Swilly RNLI, Greencastle Coast Guard, Gardai, the coast guard helicopter, and locals have been involved in the search for 59-year-old Anthony (Tony) Griffiths, who was reported missing to Gardai on Tuesday afternoon.
The search began on Tuesday evening and resumed on Wednesday morning.
Denis Moloney, Station Officer at Malin Head Coast Guard Radio Station, told the ‘Journal’ the search was stood down on Wednesday afternoon due to weather conditions and a rising tide.
Mr Moloney said an extensive search was undertaken throughout the day in lower tide and this is expected to resume again tomorrow (Thursday) morning.
He confirmed that some local divers will return to the area this evening for a further search.
Mr Griffiths, from Culmore, has been missing since Monday night.
Inishowen Garda Inspector David Murphy told the ‘Journal’ that Gardai in Carndonagh received a report on Tuesday afternoon of a missing person. He said they were informed that Mr Griffiths and his family had been camping at Isle of Doagh and all went to bed on Monday night. When the family awoke on Tuesday morning, Mr Griffiths was not there.
Inspector Murphy said that while the search is underway, Gardai are keeping all avenues of investigation open. Mr Griffiths was last seen wearing a grey t-shirt with a red and blue design and beige combat-type shorts. He is 5ft 10, of medium build, with sandy covered hair and blue eyes. Gardai have also asked landowners in the Isle of Doagh, Carndonagh to Clonmany areas to search outbuildings. Anyone with information is asked to contact Buncrana Garda Station at (00353) 74 93 20540.
The search is focusing on the area around Trawbreaga Bay, described as a vast area of water which is prone to large swells, exacerbated by inclement weather conditions.