‘Smoke alarm saved life’

Smoke Alarm. INNT 43-040-FP
Smoke Alarm. INNT 43-040-FP

Derry’s top fire fighter says a smoke alarm saved the life of a man pulled from a fire in a first floor flat in Rosemount.

Barry McDowell, the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service District Commander, said the smoke detection system in the flat at Argyle Terrace proved invaluable during the rescue operation just after 3am on Thursday.

Three appliances and 15 fire-fighters attended the scene after the alarm was raised. A man was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

“This could have been a lot worse,” Mr McDowell said.

He also commended the landlord for ensuring a alarm was fitted and working.

The area’s District Commander said the alarm had been raised by the occupant of the upstairs flat but crews wearing breathing apparatus had to force entry to the downstairs flat.

“We would urge everyone to have a smoke alarm and to make sure it’s working. It saved this guy’s life,” he added.