A woman whose brother was shot dead on Bloody Sunday has said that the PSNI have informed her that a soldier arrested in connection with the events of January 30, 1972 is being questioned in relation to four shootings on that day 43 years ago.
Kate Nash says that police informed her this morning that the 66-year-old former Parachute Regiment soldier is being questioned over the killing of her brother William Nash as well as those of John Young and Michael McDaid. She was also informed that the ex-soldier is being questioned in relation to the wounding of her father Alexander Nash.
A statement from the PSNI says that the man was arrested in County Antrim and is being interviewed at a police station in Belfast.
The Nash family, whose brother was shot dead on January 30, 1972 and whose father was wounded in an attempt to save his son, say police have informed them that the suspect is to be questioned in relation to the suspicion of the murder of William Nash, Michael McDaid and John Young and the attempted murder of Alexander Nash.
Speaking about when she received the call from the PSNI Kate Nash said: “I’m shaking like a leaf. I got a call from the police this morning to say that a soldier had been arrested and will be questioned over Bloody Sunday. I’m very shocked that this has happened and you can only hope that the right thing is done here qand the justice system works effectively.
“I want no innocent person convicted of something they did not do. But, I want the man who murdered my brother and almost killed my father brought to justice. I will hold tight to the glimmer of hope I have right now.
“We must hope that this is not a smoke and mirrors deal to get the Stormont House Agreement over the line. We have never wanted special treatment, just justice, fair and simple.”
The officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison said the arrest “marked a new phase in the overall investigation which would continue for sometime.”
The PSNI’s Legacy Investigation Branch was set up to replace the Historical Enquiries Team (HET) and it took over the Bloody Sunday investigation in January this year.
Meanwhile, the British Ministry of Defence (MoD) says it’s aware a former soldier has been arrested in connection with the investigation into the events of Bloody Sunday.
A spokesperson said: “We are aware an ex-soldier has been arrested by the Police Service of Northern Ireland in connection with their investigation into the events of Bloody Sunday.