Three people escape injury after '˜accidental' house fire in Derry

Three people have escaped injury after an 'accidental' fire at a house in Derry.

Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 3:00 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 3:35 pm

NI Fire & Rescue Service Group Commander, Fergal Leonard, said two appliances from Northland Station responded to a call of a blaze at a property in Foyle Park, at 6.10pm on Friday.

When crews arrived at the scene, Group Commander Leonard said the fire in the bedroom on the first floor was “well developed”.

Three people in the house had managed to get out safely, he said.

Fire officers, using breathing apparatus and water, were able to extinguish the blaze. They were on scene for approximately an hour.

Mr. Leonard said the fire is being treated as “accidental”.

“Thankfully, everyone was able to get out,” said Mr. Leonard. “There was quite extensive damage to the upstairs of the property.”

Group Commander Leonard is urging all householders to ensure they have smoke alarms properly fitted and regularly maintained on each floor of their homes. He said sometimes the batteries go flat, and people forget to replace them.