Tragedy averted by the quick actions of locals

The flat at Meadowview which went on fire last night.
The flat at Meadowview which went on fire last night.
Share this article

A fire at a flat at Meadowview in the Rosemount area of the city was quickly contained last night averting a tragedy according to two local councillors.

It is understood the fire began around 6.30pm last night and was caused by a chip pan going on fire in the kitchen of the premises. Both occupants of the flat were uninjured in the incident.

Independent councillor for the area, Darren O’Reilly said on Facebook: “Just back from a house in Meadowview were two people had to be rescued after a chip pan caught fire in the property. I would like to commend the bravery of two local men for their quick thinking and rescuing both occupants. If it wasn’t for the two mens actions we could of been dealing with a fatality.”

SDLP representative for the area, Councillor Shauna Cusack said: “ I would like to commend the fire service for their swift response to what could have been a tragedy for more than one family. Given this was a ground floor flat the potential implications could have been disastrous. When I arrived at the scene I was relieved to find out that no one was seriously injured and the occupants are currently being examined for smoke inhalation. This incident again highlights the need for all of us to be aware of fire hazards in the home and never to leave pots and pans unattended.”