TV licence call to students

TV Licensing is encouraging Derry students moving away from home to study to check whether they will need a TV Licence.

Students moved an average of 91 miles to study at university or college, according to new research published by TV Licensing. Students need a licence if they are watching or recording TV programmes at the same time as they

are broadcast, whatever device they are being viewed on. Generally speaking, students won’t be covered by a communal TV Licence or their parent’s licence. Mark Sterling, spokesperson for TV Licensing, said:

“August is a really exciting time for many students going to university or college as they’ve got big changes ahead – especially those moving to a different part of the country. In the rush to get many tasks done, it is easy to overlook things like arranging your TV Licence. So we are encouraging students to think about it sooner rather than later, just so they can check it off the to-do list and focus on relishing in the student lifestyle.”

Mark Bell, President of University of Ulster Students’ Union, added:

“Regardless of where they’ve chosen to study, and their reasons for doing so, new students need to make sure they’re licensed if they are going to watch live TV whilst away at uni.”