Two people rescued from a house fire in Derry are in hospital where they are believed to be in a stable condition.
The blaze occurred at an end-of-terrace bungalow in Altcar Park around 10pm on Saturday.
Two local men rushed to the scene, where they managed to rescue the occupants.
The ‘Journal’ understands the man who was on scene first, who was close to the house at the time, heard the smoke alarms and rushed to the property where he pulled a male and a female from a bedroom to safety.
Another man, who prefers not to be named, told the ‘Journal’ he’d received a call about the fire asking if he could help. He told the ‘Journal’ he did what anyone would do.
“I checked the front door handle to see if it was hot and it was kind of warm, but not roasting. I know the people that live there. I went in and the place was thick was smoke.
“I went into the living room and there was a fella standing there in the middle of the room. I grabbed him and pulled him out. I went back in, but I couldn’t see anyone,” said the man.
The people the man knew had already been rescued and were treated by the Ambulance Service on the scene.
The man and woman, the ‘Journal’ understands, were taken to Altnagelvin before being transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.
When asked if he feels if his actions were heroic, the man who rescued the third occupant said: “No way. I did what anyone would have done.
“I’m a bit choked up today, but I’m just glad they’re all okay and they survived. That’s the main thing.”
NIFRS Station Commander Andrew Russell said when crews from Crescent Link and Northland arrived at the scene, the house was well alight. He said they checked for persons believed to be inside the burning property but they had been rescued and taken to safety.
Mr. Russell said had it not been for the “swift actions” of those who rescued the occupants “we could have been waking up to a castastrophe”.
Fire crews were on scene at Altcar Park for an hour and a half.
Commander Russell urged householders to check their smoke alarms regularly to ensure they’re working properly.
A PSNI spokesperson said the fire appears to have been accidental.