The Mandarin Palace take away service will reopen soon, according to business owner, Stan Lee.
The Chinese take away restaurant, which was situated on the Strand Road before a large fire forced it to close, will relocate to lower Clarendon Street.
The Mandarin Karma restaurant was destroyed by a severe fire in March. In recent months the building had been assessed and condemned by structural engineers. The demolition of the building started on Wednesday.
Speaking to the ‘Journal’, Mandarin Palace owner, Stan Lee, said he was looking forward to reopening the take away service and added that he intends to reopen the Mandarin Palace restaurant in the near future also.
“The tumbling of the Karma building begins a new chapter in the life of Mandarin Palace,” Mr. Lee told the ‘Journal’.
“The Mandarin take away and delivery service will open soon, relocating around the corner at lower Clarendon Street next to Danano’s restaurant. We wish to welcome back our old and new take away and delivery customers.
“The Opening of the take away will bring back much needed employment to the city and for some of my employees,” added Mr. Lee.
Mr. Lee confirmed that work is ongoing to “fully” refit the Mandarin Palace Restaurant and that an announcement over the actual date of the reopening is due soon.
“Further updates on the opening of the new fully refitted, redecorated Mandarin Palace restaurant will be released in the future.
“The Lee family wish to thank all our patrons old and new for their overwhelming support after the devastating fire.”
The fire also left the adjoining Mandarin Palace and Mandarin Palace take away restaurant badly damaged and as a result the business was forced to close.
Residential buildings and other nearby businesses were affected by both smoke from the fire and the high levels of water used by the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service to extinguish the blaze.
It is understood that up to 60 people lost their jobs as a result of the fire.