Carn just too strong for Carrowmena

Carrowmena FC -0

Carn FC-4

Carn started the better with Kevin Doherty’s dangerous left wing cross well turned behind by JP McDermott.

A superb Oliver McConalogue run then took him past three players but his low shot was well turned away by the legs of keeper Gerard Gill. On 21 minutes a miskick in the Carrowmena defence fell to McConalogue who lifted the ball over the advancing Gill but John Lynch got back to clear.

Carn opened the scoring when Kevin Doherty controlled well on the left hand side of the area before turning and shooting low past Gill from sixteen yards.

Carrowmena spurned a glorious chance minutes after when a long ball bounced over the Carn defence for Gary Smith to latch onto but with only Gerard Crossan to beat he fired badly wide.

The introduction of substitute Declan McGonagle on the right hand side for Carn sparked an immediate upturn and they doubed their lead on 57 minutes when McGonagle burst clear on the right and crossed for Caomhinn Canny to slot home from six yards. Carn added a third on 80 minutes when Gill under pressure from McConalogue failed to hold a high ball and McConalogue followed up to slot home.

They added a fourth minutes later when McGonagle played a neat one two with Canny to advance into the area and fire to the roof of the net with an angled shot from ten yards. Carrowmena’s misery was complete when Conor Radcliff was redcarded for dissent in the 86th minute.

Cockhill Celtic Yths 2

Aileach FC 4

In an entertaining Jackie Crossan Premier Division game the home side opened the scoring on 11 minutes when Declan Kearney’s corner found Liam McCarron who powerfully headed past Cathal McElhinney from six yards.

Aileach got back on terms before the break when sloppiness in the home defence allowed Anthony Doherty cut in from the right hand side before drilling a fine shot across Declan O’Donnell to the far corner.

The home side restored their lead within five minutes of the restart when Friel fed Mark Moran who crossed for Kearney to slide the ball home from close range. Aileach lifted the pace and Doherty went close with a rising shot that cannoned back off the bar. They got back on terms on 70 minutes after a defensive mix up allowed Ciaran Craig to stoop to head past O’Donnell from eight yards.

Minutes later the visitors took the lead for the first time when James Gillespie rose unmarked to head home following a corner. Cockhill tried to hit back and were unlucky when Moran’s corner broke to Greg Bradley and his shot crashed off the bar.

Aileach broke and sealed the win when Gary Collett advanced on the left and crossed for Doherty to head home his second of the game.

Moville Celtic 5

Redcastle United 1

The home side started this local derby well and took the lead then on 12 minutes when Raymond Campbell headed a corner across the box for Shane Canning to power a header from ten yards to the roof of the net.

But Redcastle replied within minutes and got back on terms after James Curran intercepted a loose pass and fired a brilliant twenty five yards effort over Sean McGuinness.

They went close again minutes later when Davenport advanced into the area only to be denied by a last ditch Darry Doherty tackle which saw the ball deflect over the bar.

Moville regained the lead eight minutes after the restart when McLaughlin advanced past two defenders into the area and squared for McMonagle to slot home from close range.

Redcastle almost got back on terms then when following goalmouth scramble McColgan poked the ball goalwards but Darryl Doherty hacked off the line.

Moville respond and substitute PJ Barr released Joe Doherty who crossed for McMonagle to fire home.McMonagle then completed his hat trick after Joe Doherty robbed a defender and fed him to execute a superb chip over the advancing McCole.Moville were rampant at this stage and completed the scoring on 82 minutes when a quick throw in released Doherty who feeds Barr who inturn squared the ball for Harkin to tap in.

Greencastle FC 1

Glengad United 4

Leaders Glengad burst out of the traps and took the lead on 4 minutes after Terence Doherty raced onto a ball over the top to square for Paul McDermott to slot home from close range.

Greencastle hit back ten minutes later and got back on terms when good work by David Heuston saw the ball break to Niall Waterkamp on the edge of the area and he fired a superb effort to the bottom left hand corner.

The visitors replied with John McDaid shooting just wide after a quick break. They regained the lead on 36 minutes when Terence Doherty turned back inside on the right and fired an unstoppable effort past Kevin Cavanagh to the top corner.

After an even opening to the second half Glengad increased their lead when McDermott converted after a good run and cross by Doherty in the 57th minutes. Glengad were reduced to ten men then when Doherty was redcarded for a second yellow card.

But they added another shortly after when McDermott broke from midfield beat a defender before rounding Cavanagh to score.Greencastle pressed hard for the remainder of the game with Waterkamp and Heuston both bringing good saves from McLaughlin.

The final chance fell to the home side with Sean Cavanagh rounding a defender but failing to hit the target.


Carn FC 1

The visitors probably had the better of a very tight first half which saw few clear chances created by either side.Carn began well and when Ronan Doherty found Oliver McConalogue with a right wing cross he headed wide from ten yards.

Midway through the half Cathal Doherty played a neat one two with Ronan Doherty but his effort was comfortably saved by Paddy Morrison.

The Point replied on the half hour after Paul Grant fed Paul Hegarty but his effort from distance drifted wide.Carn went close again before the interval when Ronan Doherty’s free from the right found Gerard McEleney but he headed over.

There was little action until the 65th minute when the visitors Ronan Doherty ran onto a through ball but Morrison advanced to block.

The Point replied with Oisin McCool driving an angled effort across the face of goal and wide before Stephen McCarron failed to hit the target from twelve yards. Substitute Joe Johnstone then beat a defender and advanced to the byeline to pull the ball back but there were no takers.

The same player then found space to unleash an angled shot but Crossan gathered easily. Carn made the breakthrough in the 82nd minute when Ronan Doherty crossed from the right for substitute Donncha Gallagher to sidefoot home from six yards.

Strand Hotel First Division

Gleneely Colts 3

Buncrana Hearts Res 5

The visitors got off to a dream start in the 2nd minute when Oisin O’Flaherty raced onto a ball over the top before drilling a low shot past JP Houten from twelve yards.Shortly afterwards they made it two nil when Harry Forshaw crossed for Michael Furey to slot home from close range.

They made it three nil on the half hour then when Matthew Cutliffe’s corner found the unmarked James O’Donnell and he fired past Houten from eight yards.The Colts reduced the deficit within minutes when Adrian McGonigle crossed for Ronan Kearney to slot home from six yards.

Kearney then broke but saw his cross just elude McGonigle.

After the break a Kearney corner found Jason McElhinney but his diving header was brilliantly saved by Caolan McGonagle. At the other end Johnathan Eccles broke clear but Houten saved well with his legs before Houten reduced the deficit on the hour after his long kick out bounced over the stranded McGonagle.

Another long kick out caused mayhem in the Buncrana defence and Martin Mooney took advantage to slot home from twelve yards.

But the visitors regained the lead on 81 minutes after Cutliffe cut inside defender before curling a superb effort inside the post from ten yards.They sealed the points minutes later after Caomhan Doherty floated a ball across for Furey to volley home from a tight angle.

Rasheney FC 0

Illies Celtic 3

Illies got off to a flying start on 6 minutes when Gavin Doherty’s deep corner found Paddy Doherty to lay the ball off for Aiden Doherty who drilled a low shot through a crowd of players past the unsighted Kieran Friel.

The home side ‘s best chance of the half came on 37 minutes when Anthony Doherty found Darren Grant in behind the Illies defence but he blazed over when he should have done better. Just after the restart Rasheney had another chance when Kelly bore down on goal but keeper Doherty advanced to block.

Illies hit back and doubled their lead when Joe McDaid found himself in behind the home defence , who appealed in vain for offside, and he drilled a low shot past Friel.

They added another then on 55 minutes after Niall McDaid collected a ball on the edge of the area and turned superbly to place a superb shot in Friel’s right hand corner.

Rasheney kept pressing but all they had to show was a long range Paddy Nelson effort saved well and a John McLaughlin cross which just eluded Coyne.

Carrowmena FC 1

Culdaff FC 4

While leaders Culdaff dominated territory and possession they found Carrowmena a tough nut to crack and they certainly had to work hard for everything. They created a gilt edged chance on 15 minutes when Dillon Ruddy crossed to Conor O’Brien who cushioned a header into the path of Michael Coyle but he blazed over from five yards.

On 28 minutes an inswinging Ruddy corner was cleared off the line at the back post by Ryan Killen. Culdaff broke the deadlock on the stroke of half time when Dean O’Connor ‘s corner found Conor O’Brien who flicked a header from twelve yards past Declan McDermott.

Culdaff kept pressing on the restart and increased their lead when Dermot Diver fed O’Brien who held the ball up before laying it off to Diver to fire first time to the bottom corner from twenty yards for a superb goal.

Carrowmena got a goal back then on 65 minutes after James Gillen fed Ryan Killen who lifted the ball over the top for Paddy Craig to run clear and fired low past George Houten.

But Culdaff killed the game off in minutes when they added a third after Dillon Ruddy’s cross forced an unfortunate defender to plant a superb header past his own keeper.

They sealed the points on 77 minutes when John McFeely’s free found Brian McGonigle who rose highest to head home.

Dunree United 1

Moville Celtic Res 1

This was an excellent game in St. Egneys Park and one which saw the honours shared. Moville had the opening chance after Kevin Doherty crossed for Kevin McDermott who headed wide when well placed.

At the other end Philip McGuinness broke from midfield but saw his effort well saved by Ralph Bredin. Moville got on top and Conor Lafferty saw an effort well saved by the legs of David Eccles in the home goal before a good move by the visitors ended with McDermott’s shot turned around the post by Eccles.

Dunree responded and TJ McKinley fired wide from fifteen yards before blazing over from six yards after exceptional work by McGuinness, Liam Baldrick and Thomas Mulhern.

On the stroke of half time Moville broke when Lafferty latched onto a ball over the home defence before squaring for McDermott to fire past Eccles from twelve yards.There were fewer chances in the second period but Lafferty had an early effort well blocked by the legs of Eccles.

On the hour McGuinness beat a defender and crossed to Mulhern who shot wide when well placed. With time running out Dunree salvaged a point in injury time when McGuinness beat a man on the right and crossed for Ryan Bradley to place a low effort past Bredin and earn his side a point.