DERRY CITY: Boyle nets brace as City get off to a flyer at Dalymount

Nathan Boyle of Derry City, second right, is congratulated by teammates after scoring his side's second goal during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Bohemians and Derry City at Dalymount Park, in Dublin.
Nathan Boyle of Derry City, second right, is congratulated by teammates after scoring his side's second goal during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Bohemians and Derry City at Dalymount Park, in Dublin.

Bohemians 1, Derry City 4

NATHAN Boyle came off the bench to bag a brace of goals as Derry City issued a real statement of intent on the opening day of the new Airtricity Premier Division season at Dalymount Park.

This slick City outfit have lost just once in their last 17 league fixtures and they continued where they left off last year with an impressive victory over Bohemians - a fifth straight win over the Gypsies in all competitions!

Aaron McEneff gave City a 14th minute lead from the penalty spot after Rory Patterson was brought down inside the area by Bohs keeper, Shane Supple.

Patterson hobbled off injured and his replacement, Boyle was gifted City's second goal on the stroke of half-time after Derek Pender's horrible back pass was cleared off the line by the Bohs keeper.

Boyle added his second six minutes into the second half before new Bohs signing, Dinny Corcoran pulled one back for the home lot four minutes later.

Substitute, Lucas Schubert then bundled in a fourth Derry goal seconds after coming off the bench to put the game beyond a disheartened Bohemians.

Shiels handed impressive loan signing Nicky Low his first competitive start in central midfield but fellow new signings, Mark Timlin, Alon Netzer and Eric Grimes had to settle for a place in the bench.

Mikhail Kennedy (hamstring), on loan from Charlton, missed out through injury as did Aaron Barry (hip) and Harry Monaghan (back).

The visitors enjoyed an encouraging spell four minutes into the game when Ronan Curtis showed Pender a clean sheet of heels on the left flank but both McEneff and Low had shots charged down from range.

New Bohs striker, Corcoran then tried his luck on nine minutes from 25 yards but Gerard Doherty gathered it cleanly.

The Candy Stripes were awarded a penalty kick when Patterson chased down Low's free-kick and was brought down in the corner of the box by Bohs keeper, Supple who raced from his line to cut him off. And McEneff who netted six from the spot last season, calmly placed the resultant penalty into the corner with 14 minutes on the clock.

City almost doubled their lead on 22 minutes when Dean Jarvis' downward header at the back post from Low's corner had to be parried clear by Supple.

At the other end Corcoran linked up well with former Shelbourne man, Jamie Doyle and the latter drove the ball towards goal from distance but Doherty did well to make the save.

The dangerous Doyle again tested Doherty four minutes later. this time from 12 yards but the Derry stopper stood tall. The rebound fell to Georgie Poyton but his toe-poked effort was deflected behind.

There was worrying signs for the visitors when City's leading marksman, Patterson, who was injured during the penalty incident, hobbled off to be replaced by Boyle.

Conor McDermott then made an excellent mazy run from right back and when he got a return pass from McEneff, he side-stepped his marker and drove his shot just wide of the upright,

McEneff flashed his strike from the edge of the Bohs' box narrowly wide as Derry turned up the heat as the interval approached.

The home side gifted Derry a second in first half stoppage time when Pender's shocking backpass had to be scrambled off the line by Supple. It looked like the ball had crossed the line but his clearance fell kindly to substitute, Boyle who took a touch before blasting into the net from 12 yards to make sure.

The Candy Stripes added a third six minutes after the restart when Boyle latched onto Doherty's long punt upfield, raced towards goal and sent his low shot from six yards under the body of the keeper for his second of the night and 10th for his hometown club.

Bohs responded on 55 minutes when Corcoran got in behind Ryan McBride and poked the ball past the out-rushing Doherty.

The former St Pat's striker had the ball in the back of the net again three minutes later but his effort was ruled out for a foul on Gerard Doherty by Doyle in the build-up.

Boyle was in the thick of the action again on 65 minutes as City hit Bohs on the counter. And when the striker raced through on goal his shot was pushed into the path of Schubert by the outstretched Supple and the Austrian bundled the ball into the empty net from four yards, less than 30 seconds after coming off the bench.

Jarvis burst forward with five minutes to go and his deft chip was palmed away by Supple.

Ian Morris missed a free header with two minutes to go to sum up a hugely disappointing night for the Gypsies.

But it was a hugely encouraging night for Derry who host Limerick at Maginn Park next Friday night.

Bohemians: Shane Supple; Derek Pender, Dan Byrne, Oscar Brennan, Lorcan Fitzgerald; Patrick Kavanagh, Georgie Poynton, Keith Ward (Kaleem Simon 60), Ian Morris; Jamie Doyle (Philly Gannon 78), Dinny Corcoran; Subs Not Used - Greg Murray,Stephen Best, Rob Cornwall, Eoghan Morgan, Dean Casey.

Derry City: Gerard Doherty; Conor McDermott, Ryan McBride, Dean Jarvis, Ben Doherty (Scott Whiteside 68); Josh Daniels (Lucas Schubert 64) Nicky Low, Aaron McEneff, Ronan Curtis; Barry McNamee; Rory Patterson (Nathan Boyle 28); Subs Not Used - Eric Grimes, Rory Holden, Mark Timlin, Alon Netzer.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin (Donegal).